Tuesday, October 22, 2013

End of Mission

Well, the time has come for me to end my job here in Kandahar. It's been frustrating and tough but I actually hate to go. I met a lot of good Afghans who are working hard for a better life but it's a slow uphill climb for them. I won't tarnish this post with any bad comments but will say that Kandahar is the capital of Pashtunistan and things operate very differently here than other parts of Afghanistan. No matter what we do or how much money we pour into this place it will remain the same.  
 Anyways I should be back in Virginia by 1 Nov, take some leave and have a scotch. I'm probably going to get a Pentagon job and become another cubithian but I will retire within one year and start another life. I'm thinking about hitting the road for a long time but that's a decision for another time. Enjoy some random pictures.

My empty rack.  Time to move on.
I'll miss moving around the city in these things.  They're a little too big but will keep you safe.
My boys.  Took me everywhere and were always ready for anything.
Shirley, always took care of me and never let me out of her sight.
My translator Younas.  Younas was my last translator and worked out very well.  He was well educated, held no grudges and liked the work. I hope he finds what he's looking for.

Bye, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment